In a matter of weeks, millions of Americans have been asked to do what would have been unthinkable only a few months ago: Don’t go to work, don’t go to school, don’t leave the house at all, unless you have to.
Today, a vast majority of states, the Navajo Nation and many cities and counties have instructed residents to stay at home in a desperate race to stunt the spread of the coronavirus.
This means at least 316 million people in at least 42 states, three counties, nine cities, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are being urged to stay home.
USA is still experiencing the rapid increase in a new cases of COVID-19 across the country, we see the enrollment of restrictive measures for shelter in place, lockdowns and PPE use updates.
While social distancing will help stem the spread of COVID-19, the practice is near impossible for thousands of vulnerable people who risk becoming severely ill without their regular treatment.
Patients with kidney failure are one of these vulnerable groups. Instead of keeping away from others, these patients, who tend to be older with several other chronic conditions, must visit a dialysis center to stay alive. They sit in clinics next to 10 to 30 other immunocompromised patients for four hours, three times a week. They have no choice. While other people may be able to put off scheduled doctor’s appointments to avoid infection, dialysis can’t be postponed.
That’s why with a groups of the scientists and wellness expert we organized the webinar to provide education and resources around self-care for renal patients during pandemic. The Webinar consists of three parts:
PART I: Covid-19 and The Immunosuppressed
Discussion of the COVID-19 guidance by CDC and NICE. Overview of the guidance and resource for immunosuppressed population ( high risk population, including Pre- and Post- Kidney Transplant Patients) during the pandemic will be discussed by Shahid Muhammad – Academic Scientist and Chartered Scientist, University of the West of England, UK.
PART II: Self-Care and Kidney Disease Management
Discussion by health and wellness experts on self-care management for renal patients during home-isolation:
1) Protection gear, and precautions and disinfection tips
2) Renal diet on budget during home-isolation and adoption of balanced nutrition:
3) Physical activity and movement during self-isolation:
4) Wellbeing and mental health. Coping with fear and anxiety during pandemic:
Presented by the following experts:
1) The moderator, Nataliia Karpenko, Founder at RenalMate, Corporate Wellness Specialist.
2) Renal diet management will be discussed by Mathea Ford, Registered Dietitian, Founder at RenalDiet HQ.
3) Physical activity and building new habits will be presented by Wilson Du, Founder at MissionHQ.
4) Self-care and Anxiety management during pandemic by Elizabeth Conrady, Health Coach and Founder at @Well_Wthn.
PART III: Renal patient experience in home-isolation
Renal patients panelists share their own experience facing home-isolation and adjusting their lifestyle following the COVID-19 guidance for self-care during the pandemic.
Webinar will offer Q&A session. Please summit your Questions to nataliia@RenalMate.com or @renalmate messenger.